Are Massage Chairs Good For Arthritis? Regular massage therapy, according to medical experts, can be extremely beneficial in controlling arthritis symptoms. A growing body of evidence supports the claim that it can aid in the restoration of the spine’s natural alignment, reduce pain, promote muscle relaxation, relieve tension, and improve sleep quality.
Despite the numerous benefits of incorporating massage therapy into an arthritis patient’s routine, most people find the cost and time commitment to be prohibitively expensive. Is there a better way? Fortunately, there is! You can reap all of the benefits of traditional massage therapy without leaving the comfort of your own home by investing in a full-body massage chair.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is an inflammatory condition that affects the joints. It can affect a single joint or several joints. There are over 100 different types of arthritis, each with its own set of causes and treatment options. Osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are two of the most common types (RA).
Arthritis symptoms usually appear gradually over time, but they can also appear suddenly. Arthritis is most common in adults over the age of 65, but it can also affect children, teenagers, and younger adults. Arthritis is more common in women than in men, and it is more common in people who are overweight.
The most common symptoms of arthritis are joint pain, stiffness, and swelling. Your range of motion may also be reduced, and you may notice redness around the joint. Many people who suffer from arthritis notice that their symptoms worsen in the morning.
In the case of RA, you may feel tired or lose appetite as a result of the inflammation caused by the immune system’s activity. You may also develop anemia (a decrease in red blood cell count) or a mild fever. If left untreated, severe RA can result in joint deformity.
What Causes Arthritis?
Cartilage is a tough but pliable connective tissue found in your joints. It protects the joints by absorbing the pressure and shock caused by movement and stress. Some types of arthritis are caused by a decrease in the normal amount of this cartilage tissue.
One of the most common types of arthritis is OA, which is caused by normal wear and tear. An infection or joint injury can aggravate the natural breakdown of cartilage tissue. If you have a family history of the disease, your chances of developing it are higher.
An autoimmune disorder, RA, is another common type of arthritis. It happens when your body’s immune system attacks its own tissues. These attacks are directed at the synovium, a soft tissue in your joints that produces a fluid that nourishes and lubricates the cartilage.
RA is a synovium disease that invades and destroys joints. It can eventually cause bone and cartilage inside the joint to be destroyed. The precise cause of immune system attacks is unknown. However, scientists have discovered genetic markers that increase your risk of developing RA by a factor of five.
How Does a Massage Chair Benefit Arthritis Patients?
Our bodies have peculiar ways of working. When you are in pain or a muscle is hurting, your body will use another muscle to compensate for the pain.
It is something that puts undue strain on the joints and muscles while exacerbating the underlying issues. So, let us use a massage chair to naturally relieve body aches and tension while allowing the tissues and muscles to relax.
Enhances Blood Circulation
As a general rule, the better your blood circulation, the more manageable your pain will be. I recall reading a research report that stated that chair massage therapies, in addition to improving blood circulation, are also responsible for regulating lymphatic flow.
If you use massage chair therapies on a regular basis, your blood will flow smoothly through all of your body’s otherwise congested parts, carrying plenty of oxygen as well as other essential nutrients in the meantime.
As a result, the pressure released during a chair massage therapy session significantly increases the circulation of lymphatic fluids. Needless to say, lymphatic fluids in the body are in charge of removing toxins and other types of metabolic waste.
Assists in Pain Reduction
If you have arthritis, you understand how difficult it is to manage the pain. It’s no surprise that it’s one of the most painful aspects of arthritis. According to many studies I’ve read on the internet, regular chair massage therapies can significantly help reduce pain, making it an excellent choice for arthritis patients.
In 2006, the School of Medicine at the University of Miami conducted a study that clearly stated that the symptoms of arthritis can be managed with the help of daily chair massage therapies, or at least four times per week.
It went on to say that 15 minutes of regular chair massage therapy could result in permanent improvements in range of motion, joint grip, bone strength, and overall joint function. Furthermore, according to research from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, osteoarthritis can be managed with the help of Swedish chair massage therapy.
In this study, the subjects received two weekly sessions of Swedish chair massage for eight weeks. The subjects reported positive outcomes at the end of the two months.
Controls the Synthesis of Stress Hormones
Cortisol, the infamous stress hormone, is to blame for aggravating the majority of physical and mental health problems. According to several research reports, a single session of massage chair therapy can reduce cortisol levels in the body while increasing endorphin levels.
Endorphins are your body’s happy chemicals. They are the source of your good mood for the majority of the day. Aside from reducing the production of stress hormones, chair massage therapies, according to a survey, control a specific neurotransmitter that is responsible for body aches.
Such actions not only relieve pain in the body but also reduce stress and improve mood. It also aids in the promotion of better sleep while reducing stress and anxiety.
Provides Spine Alignment
Anyone suffering from spinal arthritis, whether from ankylosis, rheumatoid arthritis, or osteoarthritis, can benefit greatly from regular chair massage therapies. I once asked my doctor about it, and he told me that such conditions are usually caused by severe pressure on the spinal area, spinal cord, and nearby nerve endings.
Spinal arthritis does not appear overnight, and it can cause severe back pain that can spread to your neck, shoulders, and legs. It can also feel like sciatica pain at times. Furthermore, if you have spinal arthritis, it will compress all of the major nerves that run throughout your body. Doesn’t this sound like a more serious problem?
Well, depending on the severity of the disease, the condition can be serious. It can cause moderate to severe pain, as well as numbness throughout the body. Fortunately, with the help of a massage chair, all of these symptoms can be effectively managed.
To support your vertebrae and spine, you can purchase a high-end massage chair, preferably a recliner with a zero-gravity feature. It can provide your spine with the perfect alignment it requires to function smoothly in your daily life.
My mother’s zero-gravity massage chair provides a natural position for the spine while relieving tension in the muscles and nerves that emerge from the spinal area. It also includes a spinal and lower-body correction feature that aids in muscle relaxation, pain reduction, and increased flexibility.
Best Massage Chair For Arthritis
Real Relax Massage Chair
- The dual-core S track robots hands rollers generate a more effective massage to neck stress and back pain, than 8 points fixed back rollers
- Added smart voice control, choose and customize your massage without lifting a finger.
- Altered remote control with a bigger LCD screen and clearer buttons, easier to use and more accessible.
- One button zero gravity, feel ultimate relaxation when the chair is reclined
- Airbags compression on shoulders, arms, foot and hips, relive body pain and stress
RELAXONCHAIR [MK-II Plus] Full Body Zero Gravity Shiatsu Massage Chair
- REDESIGNED & UPGRADED W/ ONE HAND OPERATION REMOTE CONTROLLER, GENTLE YET FIRM MASSAGE ROLLERS, REDUCED AIRBAG PRESSURE FOR ARM & CALF - 4 AUTOMATIC MASSAGE PROGRAMS - 3 MANUAL SPECIFIC TARGETED MASSAGES(KNEADING, TAPPING, COMBO) - 3 LEVELS OF AIRBAG INTENSITY CONTROL - 3 MASSAGE SPEED CONTROL
- THREE STAGE ULTRA AUTOMATIC ZERO GRAVITY MULTI-FUNCTION MASSAGE CHAIR: Zero gravity chairs elevate your feet to the same level as your heart, minimizing the strain of gravity on your vertebrae, relieving the discomfort of back pain. Your heart can work less and you can relax more. QUALITY & INNOVATION: From top quality soft grained synthetic leather to enhance your experience to light total weight for easy mobility, the chair is thoughtfully designed with user friendliness in mind.
- BUTTLOCK L-TRACKING MASSAGE SYSTEM: The rollers glide from the upper back all the way down under the seat. This new rolling system provides a full body massage. COMPUTERIZED BODY SCANNING: Built-in sensor automatically measure the length of spine and knows where to massage. AIRBAG MASSAGE TECHNOLOGY: Uniquely designed airbags are programmed to inflate/deflate separately which causes the body to twist and stretch on shoulders, lower back, hips, and thighs working simultaneously or individually.
- DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE & FULL BODY STRETCHING: Designed to provide detailed, human-like massage throughout the body and the stretching function is also referred to as the “spinal decompression” program. With vigorous air cells pinning your body in place, the chair moves you to a calculated routine, and slowly stretches out the leg and back muscles. BEAUTY HIP MASSAGER: Multiple Air bag for your hip and your waist line which inflates for compression massage to align lower back and pelvis area.
- LOWER BACK HEATING: 2 heating pads in lower back area that enhance the massage experience. ARM MASSAGER: Two air bags are carefully located to apply a deep massage to the forearms and wrists. CALF & FOOT MASSAGER: Multiple air bags on sides and back of the legs and feet which inflate for compression massage with bottom spinning roller that apply concentrated pin-point kneading massage. FULL SIZE REMOTE CONTROLLER: Large viewing screen to easily visualize what functions the chair has activated.
Kahuna Superior Massage Chair with SL-Track 6 Rollers
- DEAL - Upgraded as 03/01/2018 – Triple Hip airbags, Revised remote controller to more user friendly, air intensity massage up to 5 levels. 2 Years Part & Labor Warranty included
- [Total 9 Auto programs including 4 special programs] 5 Auto programs - Yoga Stretching, Fast Recovery, Pain Relief, Relaxation, Athlete and 4 special programs - Office Person, Golfer, Senior Mode, Dynamic Sport – These special programs provide unique massage experience in Zero Gravity position
- A progressive Kahuna chair SM-7300 collaborated with top performing technology embedded with variety of different techniques which are kneading, tapping, knocking, tapping + knocking, and shiatsu massage on selective body proportion of whole or partial or fixed point on body. It performs close to human-touch massage as it proceeds the massage like having a personal masseuse in your home
- Superior Kahuna Massage Chair SM-7300 accommodate all body types including heavier and bigger body figures adding 3 more inches to the shoulders and hip area to accommodate all body types up to 6ft 5inches and up to 320 lbs. The upgraded Space saving technology using ameliorated forward sliding mechanism allowing quieter transition that only requires 3 inches off from the wall
- The SM-7300 functions with 6 rollers provide experience of being massaged by 6 different hands and the whole body being embraced while the massage is being processed
Esright Grey Fabric Massage Recliner Chair 360 Degree Swivel
- 【5 Relaxing Function】Relax in this wonderful recliner chair with vibrating, reclining, heating, 360° swivel, rocking features.
- 【Thick Padded, Double Comfort】Soft and sturdy fabric design suitable for intensive use, padded with extra thick sponge for back cushion and armrest.
- 【Elegant and Friendly Design】2 cup holders and extra storage bags to rest your drinks and hold magazines, good for taking a rest or watching TV, reading on bedroom, living room.
- 【Manual Control Massage Recliner】This upholstered recliner has 140° manual control recline feature, come with remote controller and power cord for massaging function, 5 control modes and 2 intensity levels.
- 【Easy Assembly and Good Customer 】Very easy assembly, all parts and instruction included, no screw needed. Professional Customer Service & Technical Support. Contact us freely if have any question.
Real Relax 3D Massage Chair Recliner with Bluetooth
- Real Relax SL track massage chair, 3D robots hands rollers move from neck to hips, 6 kinds of massage ways
- Rocking Massage Chair: 6 auto programs, clicking “waist ” button, Rocking function is on and relax your body. Timer is 15 minutes
- Massage Chair with Yoga Stretch: One button zero gravity design, pressing the" stretch“ button, experience back yoga stretching
- Full Body Air Massage: 50 airbags placed to arms, shoulder, hips and foot, seat vibration included
- Fully assembled in one box, heating function, foot roller and airbag massage, Bluetooth music player and HI-FI speakers. Bluetooth music player and HI-FI speakers
Zero Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair
- Arm Airbag has new design, 6 Auto programs, timer button up to 30 minutes, Double layer shoulder airbags - Extra foot padding and remote holder included.
- L-Track massage system, 3 stages of Zero Gravity, Smart body scan technology scans your body to detect your body size for individual custom fit massage. Air massage technology covers entire body, LM-6800 has 6 different auto programs including special yoga stretching programs for full body stretching, dual foot rollers on the feet area, Space saving technology only requires 3 inches from the wall. Without this technology your arm will not get a decent massage.
- Best warranty service for online massage chair company – Easy to register warranty and request service. Kahuna LM-6800 gives limited warranty for 3 years. We offer warranties for all parts, labor and structural framework of the chair. We guarantee that your qualified product will be repaired. This Kahuna Massage Chairs for residential use only. It is a non-transferable warranty. First year covers all parts and labor cost. Customers do not pay anything during first year warranty period
- Footer Area has dual foot rollers and detachable & washable footer area cotton for sanitary purpose. Top recommended massage chair on amazon with customer reviews. FDA Registered as medical Device.